Water Contracting

Houston Public Works Water Contracting team manages Houston Water contracts, regulatory support and the review of water district creations & annexations. 

Water Contracts 

Under City Code, Houston Water offers contracts for the sale of treated and untreated water, groundwater reduction programs, and emergency backup supply.



  1.  Complete the Application 
  2. Submit the application to [email protected]  

Once the application is submitted, a confirmation & tracking number will be emailed. 

   3. If the application is approved, a proposed contract will be emailed for signature. Return the signed contract to [email protected] with “Signed Contract” in the subject, along with the tracking number.   

An electronic copy of the final signed contract will be emailed. 

Utility District Review

Application Process 

  1. Complete the Water District Consent Application (WDCA).
  2. Submit the application and all supporting documentation to [email protected]. Submittal of hard copy application package is no longer needed. Houston Water will only accept electronic copies sent to the MUD Review Inbox.

Once the application package is submitted via email, a sales order will be created for the applicable fee associated with the WDCA and will be emailed back to the applicant (person who submitted the application online) for payment to be made.

  1. The applicant will need to register a user on the City of Houston’s online iPermits portal to process the payment for the WDCA, using the Shopping Cart # that is on the sales order that was previously emailed.  Instructions on how to create a user on the iPermits portal can be found under the “Download” files

Payments are made through JP Morgan Chase and not the City of Houston. On the JP Morgan Chase site, payments can be made by echeck or by credit card. Once the payment is made, the applicant will receive an emailed receipt which will also be available on the iPermits account.

  1. The applicant will need to email a copy of the payment receipt to [email protected] so that Houston Water may begin reviewing the WDCA application.

Airport Letters 

If any part of the proposed land falls within a City of Houston airport height hazard restriction, a letter detailing the limited building height and the applicable tier designation will be mailed to the listed attorney. Please refer to the Airport Compatible Land Use Ordinance associated with runways at Intercontinental Airport-Houston. 

Certified Copies of Ordinances 

The Office of the City Secretary will distribute certified copies of the ordinances that have passed council. Please allow 1-2 weeks from the date the request passed council. 

City MUD Bond 

The following documents are required for the City to review and approve a Bond Sale for In-City MUDs  

  • letter to the Director of Houston Public Works requesting approval of a Bond Sale 
  • TCEQ’s Draft Order Authorizing the Issuance of Bonds 
  • Draft Preliminary Official Statement & Notice of Sale 
  • Draft Resolution Authorizing the Issuance of Bonds 
  • Certificate provided by Harris County Appraisal District 

In accordance with the Utility Functions and Services Allocations Agreement, the District must provide the Director with the Official Statement and Bond Resolution before the closing of the sale.