The City of Houston entered Stage Two of the City's Drought Contingency Plan, effective August 27, 2023
Stage Two drought response imposes the following mandatory restrictions limiting outdoor water use to twice a week between the hours of 7PM and 5AM with the following schedule:
• Sundays and Thursdays for single-family residential customers with even-numbered street addresses
• Saturdays and Wednesdays for single-family residential customers with odd-numbered street addresses
• Tuesdays and Fridays for all other customers
• Any outdoor water use that drains onto adjacent properties or public or private roadways or streets or gutters is prohibited.
Any water customer who violates these watering times will be issued a written warning for a first time violation. Any subsequent violations are subject to a fine up to $2,000 for each occurrence of the offense (Section 54.001 of the Texas Local Government Code).
If you wish to report a water shortage or private water leak violation, please call 311.
Water Use Restrictions Variance
Houston Public Works is providing the opportunity for Houston Water customers to apply for a variance from the water use restrictions. This includes residential, commercial and contracts/wholesale customers.
Completion of the application does not guarantee that the variance will be granted.
All variances are valid for the declared drought stage in existence at the time of issuance. A new application will be required if the City of Houston changes the drought stage.
Please send the completed application and all attachments to [email protected]
Variances will not be granted for:
• Residential yards
• Non-Commercial Pressure Washing
Customers are allowed to use a handheld hose or watering container during any day at any time as long as the customer is present to monitor the water use and watering does not flow off of the property.
City of Houston Stage Two Drought Contingency Plan FAQs
City of Houston Stage Two Drought Contingency Plan FAQs- Spanish